Monday, April 27, 2015

 John (Jack) Hreinson - my grandfather

I found this picture a few years ago in a Biennial Coal Mine Inspectors book.  The picture had been copied out the Carbon County Newspaper, 1 Oct 1914, with the newspaper heading, "County Fair Well Attended".  It is a group of men from Castle Gate that participated on a mine rescue crew.  The names Roberts J. Henderson, captain, Jack Ramage, Jack Hreinson, Albert Wardell, James Lakin, and Leonard Taylor are listed but no mention is made of what order the men are in.  

I have looked at and studied this photo many times because Jack Hreinson is my grandfather.  In 1914 he would have been 27 years old.  I haven't ever seen a photo of him at age 27 so I couldn't decide which one of these men was my grandfather.  If Roberts J. Henderson, captain and Jack Ramage are the two men in front then my grandfather could be the one on the left in the back.  Jack Hreinson wasn't a very tall man but I think the man on the left is standing on higher ground so he looks taller than the others.

Today, I received this photograph of my Grandfather from my cousin Christine.  It is the first time I have ever seen a photo of him at a young age.  So here are some side by side photos of my grandfather and the six men in the photo.  Cast your vote as to which man in the photo is my grandfather.  You can tell me your thoughts in the comments or post it on Facebook.

Grandpa #1


Grandpa #2


Grandpa #3


Grandpa #4


Grandpa #5


Grandpa #6



No comments:

Post a Comment