Monday, August 25, 2014

Coke Ovens revisited

Coke oven in Columbia, Utah

A couple of years ago Van and I went to the Columbia coke ovens and I took lots and lots of photographs.  I came home and created a post on this blog about the trip.  A couple of weeks ago the Carbon County Historical Society decided that we were going to take a field trip to the coke ovens so everyone would be able to see them.  I started a search on my computer to find the pictures to share with Lori so she could use them on the monthly newsletter telling everyone about the trip.  I searched the computer for hours and hours and could not find the photographs.  I searched every folder, date and place I could think of but was unsuccessful.  The only pictures of the trip that I could find was the ones in the blog.  I'm pretty frustrated about where they could have disappeared too.

So, the Carbon County Historical Society made our trip to the Columbia coke ovens, the Sunnyside coke ovens and the old Sunnyside cemetery on August 23rd.  The day started out pretty rainy.  We weren't sure if we were going to have to cancel or not but we braved it.  By the end of the day the sun was shining and it was awesome weather. We ended with a picnic in the Sunnyside park.  It was beautiful in the park and everyone had a wonderful lunch.  I'm posting a few more pictures just in case something happens again I'll have even more pictures posted on the blog. 


Carbon County Railway
Columbia Cove Ovens
The only coke oven at Columbia with the brick in front.
Sunnyside coke ovens with power plant in right corner of photo.
Most of the coke ovens in Sunnyside have been covered with soil and field grass.

Old Sunnyside Cemetery - 15 people currently buried here -
many others have been moved to other locations.



No comments:

Post a Comment