Saturday, September 3, 2016

Spring Canyon, Carbon, Utah

Carbon County Historical Society tour

On August 27, 2016 the Carbon County Historical Society made a trip to tour the old town site of Spring Canyon in Carbon County, Utah.  Before we went, we were shown a photograph of what the town looked like, where the homes were, where the stores, mine buildings, church and schoolhouse was located.  When we arrived at the location of these sites it was amazing to be able to know and see what the town looked like.  It is just hard to imagine that people lived here, worked here, went to school and enjoyed living life here.  

I took many photographs of the location and tried to picture the town and the surrounding area.  I wanted to share one of the photographs that I took.  It was just so totally amazing to me how this photo turned out.

A while back a new friend found me.  John collects old postcards and he shared with me several of the postcards he had collected of Carbon County.  One of those photographs was of the aerial tramway in Spring Canyon.  The tramway was built in the early 1900's.


When I left home to go to Spring Canyon I didn't think about the photo or have any preconceived ideas of finding where the photo had been taken from.  When I got home and looked through the photos I had taken, this was one of them.


As you compare the photos you can see that I was almost in the exact same spot as the postcard photo was taken.  Check out the small mountain in the back center of the photo, the large boulders in the middle, and the tall pointy rock at the top of mountain are all still there.  The only differences in the photos is the clouds are missing from the first photo and the tramway is missing from the second photo.

This one photo made my day worthwhile but I do have many more photos to help me visualize life in Spring Canyon.  What an awesome day!!



No comments:

Post a Comment