Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year's 2013

It has been awhile since I have posted anything on this blog and even now as I begin writing I'm not sure what will end up being said.  I have many thoughts and ideas going through my head but it's hard to tell which ones will make it into writing.

A couple weeks ago I received one of those calls that the Stake President wanted to see me in his office. You know, one of those calls that you would rather not answer.  The result of that little visit was a call to serve as a councilor in the Stake Relief Society presidency.  Primary is my comfort zone.  I love serving in the Primary and working with the children.  I love sharing time and especially music and learning the new songs every year.  I think on the same level as the kids and have about the same length of attention span as they do.  It is with great trepidation and humility that I begin this New Year with a new calling. The scripture Ether 12:27 was quoted in church on Sunday.  It says:  "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."  I apparently need to step out of my comfort zone and humble myself so I can serve him effectively in this Relief Society calling.

Over the Christmas break I actually read a book.  The name of the book was, "My Loving Vigil Keeping" by Carla Kelly.  I'm pretty much a Carbon County history buff and I like to read anything about the history of Carbon County.  This book is a historical, romance, fiction about a young teacher who comes to Winter Quarters, Utah to teach school.  The author uses the names of people familiar to Winter Quarters history and weaves  a story of romance, mystery and ends the book on May 1st, 1900 the day of the Winter Quarters mine explosion.  It was an interesting book and I enjoyed reading it.

So, in closing and as we look forward to a New Year, a new beginning we take a thought from Genesis 19:17 - "....look not behind thee..."  We can't go back, we need to learn from our mistakes and our past and then we need to move on.  (Just as a side note the scripture also says: "escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed."  I'm not quite sure how that fits into this topic.)










No comments:

Post a Comment