Thursday, June 21, 2012

“It is better to look up.”

This has been a pretty wild month of ups and downs.  Since I don't want to dwell on the downs I'll dwell on the ups.

UP 1 - I finally have my own voice back.  After four or five weeks of having strange voices and sounds come out of my mouth, whenever I spoke, my real voice has returned.

UP 2 - The screws to put my cupboard doors finally got here.  Well, not actually. The clerk at the store just stole 50 sets of screws from other packages and then when the screws I ordered a month ago, come in, she will replace the ones she stole from the other packages.  Yeah!  Now I can get the cupboard doors on that are finished and maybe it will look like I'm accomplishing something.

UP 3 - I received a phone call today from the Fabric Mill in Orem.  (My very favorite fabric shop in Orem.)  The caller informed me that I was a WINNER.  I actually won something?  He told me my name had been drawn out and I had won $100.00 worth of free merchandise from the store.  YES!  Now, to figure out what I want to make.  He said that he had to look up my phone number because all that was on the form was an e-mail address.  I told him that I never expected to win anything all I was planning on receiving was their monthly newsletter.  (They have discount coupons in their newsletter.)  Check out the Fabric Mill Blog! My name is on the list with the other winners!

UP 4 - I received pictures today from the cousin who found my card at the cemetery in Spanish Fork!!  Success!!

In a talk given by Elder David S. Baxter in the April 2012 General conference he says, "Your perspective and view of life will change when, rather than being cast down, you look up."

An experience shared by Carl B. Cook of the Seventy in the October 2011 General Conference reads:  "At the end of a particularly tiring day toward the end of my first week as a General Authority, my briefcase was overloaded and my mind was preoccupied with the question "How can I possibly do this?"  I left the office of the seventy and entered the elevator of the Church Administration Building.  As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly at the floor.

The door opened and someone entered, but I didn't look up.  As the door closed, I heard someone ask, "What are you looking at down there?"  I recognized that voice - it was President Thomas S. Monson.

I quickly looked up and responded, "Oh, nothing."....

But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase.  He smiled and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, "It is better to look up!"









No comments:

Post a Comment